Thanks to Politecnico di Torino and Regione Piemonte funding, J-TECH@POLITO is equipped with the following world-class facilities:
- Custom-built Computed Tomography with in-situ mechanical testing (tensile, compression, bending, with a loading cell of 10 kN), with a chamber size of 3,5 m x 2,5 m x 2,5 m able to scan samples up to 0,5 m x 0,5 m x 0,5 m with resolution of about 5 microns (*).
- Multipurpose joining/brazing/soldering facilities operating in vacuum, inert and reactive atmospheres, up to 1700 °C (up to 1800 °C in air ) (*).
- Universal tensile/compression machine operating up to 1200 °C in inert atmosphere, with a loading cell of 50 kN, equipped with high precision laser extensometer in micro and macro range with 0,7 microns of resolution (*).
- Friction Stir Welding with a high-load capacity (100 kN vertical force, 600 N meter torque), with CNC control and high precision sensors to manage the welding parameters in real-time (*).
- Thermography analysis with thermal camera and a low power laser source can perform non-destructive, reliable tests of welded joints the weld quality and the on-line monitoring of the welding process.
- Non-destructive test based on impulse excitation technique for measurement of Young modulus, shear modulus, Poisson ratio and internal friction/damping, up to 1600 °C; it acts as quality control tool by comparing resonant frequencies. It works also as dilatometer.
- Torsion test system designed to measure torsional properties up to 25 Newton meter up to 800 °C.
- Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscopy with EDS and EBSD, resolution lower than 2.5 nanometer (*).
- Six axis anthropomorphic robot with a payload of 20 kg, equipped with: Diode laser head (spot 0.6 mm); Surface hardening & surface low temperature treatments head; Rectangular Spot laser (2 mm width) head; Cold metal transfer (CMT) arc welding head (*).
- Split Hopkinson Bar apparatus with high speed visible and infrared cameras and fast data acquisition systems to evaluate the mechanical response of materials with test durations less than a millisecond (*).
- Electrodynamic testing machine for combined axial-torsional fatigue tests, with maximum axial load of 15 kN, torsional moment of 70 N meter, load frequency of 50 Hz (*).
- Ultrasonic testing machines for Very-High-Cycle Fatigue tests up to 10 billion cycles at room and high temperature (*).
(*) co-funded by Regione Piemonte Project INFRA-P – 2017
Already available facilities at Politecnico di Torino departments: